I've been reading Psalm 69 and I'm trying to "un-pack" it. David must have really been at a low point in his life. People are seeking to destroy him. Verses 5 and 6 really stood out to me.
"O God, you know my folly; the wrongs I have done are not hidden from you. Let not those who hope in you be put to shame through me, O Lord God of hosts; let not those who seek you be brought to dishonor through me, O God of Israel."
So, I'm not sure what David's folly was but I know my own. And even more than that my sin is not hidden from the Lord. What an amazing prayer David prayed out of his own sin. "Let not those who hope in you be put to shame through me...let not those who seek you be brought to dishonor through me." O that is my prayer too. May my shortcomings, my sin, my selfishness, my attitudes never allow those around me to stumble. May my sin never tempt or thwart a sister or brother in their walk with God.
I also love verse 13.
"But as for me, my prayer is to you, O Lord. At an acceptable time, O God, in the abundance of your steadfast love answer me in your saving faithfulness."
My paraphrase, "Father, I ask you, in your timing and in your way answer me. You have so much constant love to give me and your faithfulness provides safety for me, thank you Father."
In verse 19 God's all-knowing characteristic is reiterated.
"You know my reproach, and my shame and my dishonor; my foes are all known to you."
He knows it all. In verses 20-21 David said that in his reproach he sought pity from others. He sought comfort from others. He sought food and wine to make himself feel better. None of it satisfied. In verse 29 he came to the only hope for satisfaction and healing.
"But I am afflicted and in pain; let your salvation, O God, set me on high! I will praise the name of God with a song; I will magnify him with thanksgiving."
But oh my goodness, what is so awesome is his focus once again goes to those around him. At first he didn't want those around him to stumble and be discouraged or dishonored because of his sin. Now he is choosing to be thankful, to seek God and worship him and about this he says in verse 32--
"When the humble see it they will be glad; you who seek God, let your hearts revive."
Wow, I want that to be my desire. I want to be more concerned with those around me than with myself.
Verse 34 says, "Let heaven and earth praise him, the seas and everything that moves in them."
If my focus is God, praising Him at all times and in all circumstances, then those who witness my life will see me living a testimony that points to Him. (vs 32) "WHEN THE HUMBLE SEE IT THEY WILL BE GLAD; YOU WHO SEEK GOD, LET YOUR HEARTS REVIVE."
Peace is joy resting.
Joy is peace dancing.
Kari
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment