Thursday, November 20, 2008

How does your garden grow?

"With silver bells and cockle shells and pretty maids all in a row"? I know what I would like to see growing in my garden. His fruit. I want my life to be a beautiful display of His gardening skills. Yikes. Do I really know what I am saying? If I really want Him to be at work in the garden that is my life it means digging, sowing, and sharp clippers. Ouch! But if I desire the fruit of His Spirit to be displayed (love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control), and I truly do, it means I must be willing to go through the pruning necessary.

I've been thinking about patience a lot lately. I've noticed that I'm very impatient. I've decided it is not the impatience that is the problem but my reaction to impatience. It exudes itself in an ugly way in my life. It looks like anger, frustration and snipity-ness. The other day the three of us were heading out into the cold. I was holding the little one, both of us bundled in such a way that made motion difficult. My husband was taking forever to get out the door. I said something like, "Honey, are you COMING?" He said, "Just a minute." And in my head I said, "I'm growing impatient." Now, that's not a phrase I typically use out loud. It sounds kind of funny to me. But nonetheless its what came to mind. Almost immediately after it did I heard in my head, "Why don't you grow patience instead." WOW! Talk about as close as it gets to hearing God speak audibly. It was a neat enough thought to make me laugh a little bit and I decided quickly it was stupid to be impatient. Just chill.

So, I've flunked the patience exam about 10 times this week. He's really using the trimming shears now. But, I'm a work in progress and I'm so thankful He's willing to work in my garden. I've been sitting here picturing gardens. You know, there are the simple type: nice straight rows of vegetables, and there are elaborate Victorian gardens where the flowers and vines flow together. I wonder what my garden looks like. I'm aware of lots of weeds that need to be pulled, and there is some over-growth that needs to be taken back so that new, fresh growth can come. There are also a couple of patches that are very dry and need to be watered. There's a beautiful section of flowers that are covered up by some kudzu vines that have taken over, I'd love to get rid of those so the flowers can be seen. Do you get it, or have I taken this comparison way to far?

Father, I ask you to enter the gate of my garden. Bring your tools and your tenderness. Pull away at the weeds, pour out your living water, prune what is dead, overgrown and useless, and most importantly continue to plant more of yourself that all may see Your light and beauty.

~Kari

3 comments:

Sue Ferguson said...

Interesting . . . that one of the easiest flowers to grow are "Impatiens."

Debbie said...

I need all the fruits, wonder what one the gardener will work on first. Ouch!

Funderstorm said...

Sweet friend...I appreciate every word you wrote...personally. I'll keep checking in...keep writing. Love to all~