Wednesday, December 3, 2008

God-sized Reminders

Confession time...Life lately has been a constant battle to keep from getting down. I'm tired, and I'm beginning to realize that daily life here is really daily life. This isn't just a short-term venture...we're here for the long-haul. I think it has been a little more difficult for several reasons. 1) We've been here for 2 months and it's just starting to set in that this is really home. 2) It is holiday time and that makes me really miss "home" and all that I'm used to about the holidays (i.e. MY FAMILY!). 3) My baby is beginning to hit frustration stage. She is still as happy as can be for the most part, but when she knows what she wants to do but can't do it all by herself she is devastated. As you can imagine, that is quite wearing.

Even though I've been in this battle with pity party mode it has been impossible for me to avoid all of God's amazing reminders to me.
-For starters I have a husband who loves me and encourages me constantly. We have a blast together and are really enjoying being each other's best friend.
-My daughter offers tons of opportunities each day to LOL - laugh out loud! She is hilarious and it is a joy to watch her learn and discover and play. It is so special each morning to watch her eyes light up when she wakes up and comes into the living room and sees the Christmas tree. Even in her young age she knows this is special stuff! Throughout the day today she would grab my arm and pull me towards the tree and say, "moh ismas, moh ismas." As far as I can translate, this means "more Christmas"! How precious! She loves for us to go over to the tree together and look at the lights and different ornaments (it did make me wish for some more personal and special ornaments though).

God has offered some huge reminders of why He has us here and all He is doing in my life in the process (boy oh boy is He refining me and tilling the soil in my garden!). We had several new friends over to our house the other night. My friend who is a sister shared that two of the girls that came with her have responded well to God's truth and are going to go with her to church on Sunday. We hope to begin having a Bible study in our home with them and are praying that they make Jesus the Lord of their lives! God showed Himself powerful in my life today. I met a girl-friend for lunch and shopping today and took my daughter with me. There were some Christmas decorations up in the restaurant where we ate and I was able to share God's complete story: creation, Christmas, and true life in Christ! My friend was not ready to make a decision, but she was very open and asked some good questions. I will continue to plant seeds in her life and pray that God waters them and makes His truth grow in her life.

Now, I'm sitting here tonight. I had a full day. It was a good day. My legs ache from the 3 hours out with my growing girl. 2 bus rides. A meal. A walk to a mall and through a mall. Holding her 20 some pounds the entire time. She doesn't like to walk when we're out because everyone tries to touch her. I should have taken the sling or ergo pack, but when we're all bundled up for the cold it is kind of awkward to carry her like that.

It is snowing outside. It is really beautiful. The next couple days are supposed to be very cold, in the teens Fahrenheit. Pray for me and my daughter. With the really cold weather we may not be able to get outside much, ask that we won't get antsy, but that we'll think of fun things to do inside and that I will be productive inside and use that time to "continue steadfastly in prayer" as it says in Colossians 4:2.

I've been holding out on you all. The really huge God-sized reminder today was His precious, living, active Word.

Psalm 94:18-19
When I thought, "My foot slips," your steadfast love, O Lord, held me up.
When the cares of my heart are many, your consolations cheer my soul.

How quick my awesome God is to rush in with love and compassion. As Psalm 139:7 says, "Where shall I go from your Spirit? Or where shall I flee from your presence?" And my personal paraphrase of Psalm 139:8-10 is this, "If I ascend to America, you are there! If I make my bed in Asia, you are there! If I take the wings of the morning and dwell in the uttermost parts of the World, even there your hand shall lead me, and your right hand shall hold me." I have thought more than once over the last few days, "My foot is slipping." But His steadfast love is holding me up. Although my heart is heavy laden, His consolation, His understanding, His willingness to let me mourn all of the transitions in life cheer my soul and put my focus back onto Him.

Thank You, Father, for YOU-sized reminders. Your love. Your faithfulness. Your peace. Your joy.

All for HIS glory and fame,
Kari

(and once again, because I just have to end on this note)
Psalm 94:18-19
When I thought, "My foot slips," your steadfast love, O Lord, held me up.
When the cares of my heart are many, your consolations cheer my soul.

7 comments:

Debbie said...

Oh Kari, I can so relate to how you are feeling. We have moved many times in the US and it was very difficult, even to a place as beautiful as CAlifonia, but to a country that is so foreign must be a challenge. But I was so encouraged to hear of your connection with friends and telling them about Dad. I know that he will fly you high above your circumstances on eagle's wings. (EX 19:4) "However, I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the son has given me- the task of testifying to the gospel of Dad's grace." Acts 20:24 love, Debbie

Sue Ferguson said...

My experience has proven (though I still scream and kick at times) that the most challenging seasons of life often end up to be those that strengthen (you used the word refine) and grow us the most. How your garden grows . . .

Melissa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Melissa said...

I love reading your blog. But it makes me miss our special time in CA!! You still inspire me!! Dad is so good at what He does, that you don't even know He is doing a great thing in you and until you stop and whine a little and realize... Oh YEAH!! You are doing great and I know that amazing things are about to happen!!! Keep leaning on Dad!!

Pearcia LaPointe said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Funderstorm said...

Are you listening in on my life? Seems we have much in common at this stage of life, friend. Lifting you and yours up...

Joyce said...

Dear Kari, Thank the Father when you song turns to the minor key! I agree with you mom. These are times when the Father wants you to run straight to Him and not be distracted by the well-meaning intentions of your friends and family. He desires your fellowship to be unbroken. These are precious times of learning, growth, and PREPARATION for the next steps. Without these times, we are more likely to falter. There is no time lost in the Father's economy. Love you very much. Grandmother